Obesity is a serious problem in the United States. Losing weight with a high alkaline diet and low in acidic foods includes consuming whole and unprocessed foods and reducing higher sugar and fatty foods. An alkaline-rich diet will consist of fewer calories than an acid-rich diet. Alkaline diets will allow your body to burn off much of what is consumed and make your weight-loss goals easier to achieve.
For losing weight with a high alkaline diet you must burn off more calories than you consume. Your body requires a certain amount of calories to be able to function properly. Calories are also burned off when your body is digesting food. The other way to burn calories is through physical exercise. To lose weight, you must create an energy deficit. To do this, you must eat fewer calories and/or, increase the number of calories you burn off through physical exercise.
Below you will find 6 ways to achieve a higher alkaline diet.
- Maintain a healthy pH balance in the body. Ideally, you should consume 80 percent alkaline foods and 20 percent acidic foods. Your body achieves optimum benefits when you eat high alkaline food such as fruits and vegetables.
- Eat high alkaline fruits. Lemons, limes and grapefruit are acidic but turn alkaline in the body. Other alkaline fruits include apricots, raisins and dates.
- Add high alkaline vegetables to your diet and concentrate on eating just them. Spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, snap peas, celery, parsley and cabbage are some high alkaline vegetables.
- Limit the amount of salt intake, or use Celtic Sea Salt, available in most health food stores, as it is higher in alkaline compared to regular table salt.
- Eat high alkaline grains. Barley, millet, brown rice, buckwheat and spelt are excellent choices. Sprouted grain bread and tortillas add variety to a high alkaline meal.
- Take supplements that increase your bodies alkalinity.
Losing weight with a high alkaline diet can be hard to stick to for those who are used to eating sugar, dairy, meats, and caffeine every single day. So be patient with yourself. Add a few new alkaline items to your diet each week, so you are not overwhelmed. By doing this you will slowly notice that you have less need or desire to eat sugar, diary, meats and caffeine. There are tons of alkaline friendly recipes out there and there are a lot of foods alkaline dieters can eat.